What Is Arjunarishta? All You Need To Know
- 07 Aug, 2020
Arjunarishta is an ayurvedic medicine which is an herbal concoction of various natural ingredients. It has been into ayurvedic medicine for more than thousands of years. The ingredients used for the formation of medicine focuses on maintaining body health. The ingredients are carefully mixed together to be left for natural fermentation. Due to all the natural ingredients and procedures, this renders you with various remedies. It can prevent and relieve cardiac problems, maintain blood pressure levels, digestion problems, blood sugar level and more. This article will focus on the therapeutic benefits as well as the side effects of arjunarishta. Except that, the methodology to prepare arjunarishta at home is also mentioned below.
Arjunarishta is an ayurvedic medicine which is prepared to remove the sufferings from a patient. Arjun in hindi means clear or white. This name has been given to the medicine because it clears the digestive system, blood and urine. The raw products are kept in boiling water for the fermentation process. This whole procedure makes it a natural phenomenon which will not affect the body in severe ways. The major ingredient used in arjunarishta is the Arjuna bark which tends to protect the cardiac system of an individual. It has also been observed that Arjuna bark helps in increasing the anaerobic cardiovascular process in the body.
- Arjuna tvak – Terminalia arjuna bark – 5 kg
- Dhataki pushpa – Woodfordia fruticosa flowers – 1 kg
- Madhuka pushpa – Madhuca indica flowers – 1 kg
- Mridvika or dry grapes – Vitis vinifera – 2.5 kg
- Gud or jaggery – 5 kg
- Arjuna bark being the main ingredient is firstly washed and left for drying in the sun.
- It is then processed to obtain the final product in a powdered form. Do remember to sieve the powder once to remove the impurities or any solid particles.
- The other herbs (madhuka, dhataki and draksha) which are used shall also be washed thoroughly and sun dried.
- These herbs are also processed to form powder. Keep all the herbs separately and sieve them once to clear the possibilities of solid impure particles.
- The powdered arjuna bark is then left in water for the soaking procedure for at least 24 hours.
- The soaked product is then boiled until the quantity is reduced to less than half. To eliminate the further possibilities of impurities, pass it through muslin cloth.
- Now add jaggery or gud to the decoction and stir it properly.
- Add all the herbs and seal the container tightly.
- Allow the decoction to ferment properly.
- Once the fermentation is done, filter it again using muslin cloth to further purify.
- It is ready to use and can be stored in airtight containers.
Arjunarishta is a medicine which can be taken by either children or adults. The medicine should be taken in a maximum dose of 60 ml in a day. It is advised to take the medicine with lukewarm water.
- Children above 5 years of age – 10 ml (2 tablespoons)
- Adults – 20 ml (4 tablespoons)
- Seniors – 20 ml (4 tablespoons)
BENEFITS OF THE INGREDIENTS USED
The ingredients used for the formation of the Arjunarishta are itself very helpful for maintenance of the body metabolism.
1. ARJUNA BARK
The botanical name of the arjuna bark is Terminalia arjuna which belongs to the Combretaceae family. The tree consists of yellow flowers and woody fruits. The arjuna bark is famously known for its therapeutic uses as ayurvedic medicine. It has been proven successful in preventing heart diseases in suspected patients. It also consists of chemical compounds such as arjunic acid, arjunolic acid, arjunetin, arjunones, glycosides and tannins. These chemicals promote heart health and also prevent respiratory disorders.
Dhataki is a medicinal herb which has a botanical name called Woodfordia fruticosa. It also has various therapeutic benefits. It helps in boosting the immune system and balancing the overall health of an individual. It has been observed that dhataki has treated various cases with piles, diarrhea, dysentery, headache and diabetes. The flowers of the herb also heal the skin from any infection or wound. The roots of the herb are beneficial for the treatment of rheumatism.
The tree of madhuka has been known as the butter tree. The botanical name of the tree is Madhuca indica. As the name suggests, it is helpful in soothing the skin inflammatory conditions. It also relieves the itching, burning sensations, inflammation caused by the eczema or any other infection. In respiratory diseases, it is used to clear the bronchial tubes from the phlegm.
4. MRIDVIKA OR DRY GRAPES
As mentioned above, dry grapes are called draksha. It is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Dry grapes will help in the relieving of diseases such as constipation, diarrhea, fever, anemia, acidosis and eye problems. Studies have shown that it has also been helpful in treating heart blockage and even relieving some symptoms of cancer.
Jaggery or gud has been a source of sugar since ancient times and this sweet taste has also been beneficial in many ways. It helps in boosting immunity and preventing diseases such as constipation and digestion. It eases the pain of the joint pain and also menstrual cramps. Gud is also a good source for healthy blood pressure and overall heart health.
BENEFITS OF ARJUNARISHTA
Benefits of the ingredients and arjunarishta are long known. With the passage of time and the growth in the production of more natural products, arjunarishta has become a boon to society. The benefits of the arjunarishta are well explained here.
1. MAINTAINS CARDIAC HEALTH
Arjuna bark itself is the main ingredient for the improvement of heart functioning. It is highly antioxidative in nature which helps in the treatment of various heart diseases. As a boon for heart ailments it has been observed to prevent the deposition of plaque in the blood vessels and formation of atherosclerosis. This on the other hand helps in reducing the risk of heart attacks. It also plays a major role in lowering the cholesterol and triglyceride level from the body. In cardiac arrhythmia, it enhances the arterial flow.
2. TREATING URINARY DISORDERS
Ayurveda also has successful cases where they treated urinary disorders by Arjunarishta. Urinary disorders such as urinary incontinence, painful urination and burning sensation has been treated.
The medicine is suggested to be taken with the milk which not only helps in the reduction of pain and burning sensation but also stimulates proper urination. It can also treat mild dysuria. Arjunarishta also consists of anti microbial as well as antibacterial properties which helps in the prevention of urinary infections.
3. MAINTAINING KIDNEY HEALTH
It helps the kidney by eliminating excess uric acid from the body. Uric acid is the major reason for the formation of gout which is also prevented. The arjunarishta also consists of anti lithiasis property which prevents the body from the formation of kidney stones. Those who already have kidney stones have been observed to have reduced size of the stone.
4. TREATMENT OF RESPIRATORY DISEASES
The aromatic herbs present in the arjunarishta have been helpful in curing the cough formed in the throat. This tonic has cured people with asthma, bronchitis, normal cough and cols. It also removes the phlegm from the respiratory tract to render relief from the congestion; it also strengthens the lung tissues and thereby maintains lung health.
5. ENHANCING MALE FERTILITY
The arjunarishta consists of spermatogenic properties which can treat low sperm count that is oligospermia. It has also been observed to treat sperm motility as well as sperm production. It also enhances the production of testosterone.
6. MAINTAINING BLOOD PRESSURE
Arjunarishta is a hypertensive agent which helps in normalizing the blood pressure. Either low BP or high BP, it can improve both the conditions.
7. High BP
It maintains the systolic blood pressure because of the cardio-tonic property. Do remember that it only helps the patients with mild to moderate high BP.
8. Low BP
If the blood pressure has been in a reduced stage for a longer time it can show positive results with one dosage.
SIDE EFFECTS OF THE ARJUNARISHTA
There aren’t many side effects to the tonic but it is always better to know what might happen with the intake of the same. The condition of the side effects does not certainly take a form of severity but still some the effects are:
- It might cause abdominal pain, vomiting and indigestion if overdosed.
- The dosage may also seem to have dizziness and drowsiness as one of the side effects.
- People with diabetes should consult a doctor before consuming arjunarishta because it contains a high amount of jaggery in the tonic.
- Pregnant women are strictly inhibited to take the tonic because it may affect the foetus or the secreted milk.
Arjunarishta is a traditional medicine which has been in use since ancient times. It is a natural tonic which does not require any external phenomenon or chemicals for the manufacturing.This natural procedure helps the patients in the treatment of the various diseases with an effective method. With the passage of time it has been made clear that the traditional methods of dietary forms as well as medicinal forms were most effective. With the growth in the medicine sector and the development of new diseases it is important to notice that the tonic like arjunarishta can become a boon to mankind.