Is Peanut Butter Keto Friendly?
- 06 Aug, 2020
WHAT IS PEANUT BUTTER
Peanut Butter is also known as Arachis hypogaea. It is one of the most popular spreads in American-Asian countries due to the creamy texture it has and its ability to add flavor to any dull food. It is low carb, a high-fat and moderate protein which makes it a great option to follow when on a Keto Diet as it helps to lose weight as well.
Talking about the origins of Peanuts, they are a legume but, same as that of the lentils family tree. However they have different nutritional properties hence people prefer to call it a nut and it is so common that it can be found in every single household nowadays. Peanut butter is a condiment and is eaten with bread, tortillas, tandoori chicken (in the keto diet for Indians) etc.
People have this notion that Peanuts are processed foods and should be avoided in a Keto diet since keto advises not to indulge much into processed foods. However peanut butter is considered to be an unprocessed food which is made by grinding up the roasted peanuts until they turn into a paste.
According to the USDA, (U.S. Department of Agriculture) these are the nutritional properties of 100 GRAMS of SMOOTH PEANUT BUTTER.
- Calories - 588
- Total Fat - 50 grams (76%)*
- Saturated Fat - 10 grams (50%)*
- Polyunsaturated Fat - 14 grams
- Monounsaturated Fat - 24 grams
- Cholesterol - 0 mg (0%)*
- Sodium - 17 mg (0%)*
- Potassium - 649 mg (18%)*
- Total Carbohydrate - 20 grams(6%)*
- Dietary fiber - 6 grams (24%)*
- Sugar - 9 grams
- Protein - 25 grams (50%)*
- Vitamin A - 0%
- Vitamin C - 0%
- Calcium - 4%
- Iron - 10%
- Vitamin D - 0%
- Vitamin B-6 - 25%
- Cobalamin - 0%
- Magnesium - 38%
(* The Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.) Besides good macros, peanut butter is also rich in micronutrients and fiber, making it Keto friendly.The above nutritional chart shows that Peanut Butter has all the possible nutrients which the body needs for a proper functioning on a low carb diet.
BENEFITS OF FRIENDLY PEANUT BUTTER
- The ketogenic diet is a low-carb, moderate protein, high-fat nutrition protocol. It means that healthy fats should be encouraged and most carbohydrates should be eliminated from the Ketogenic diet.
- Peanut butter is packed with nutrients and dietary fats which makes it a great snack for people who are on the Ketogenic diet.
- Peanut Butter contains adequate amounts of healthy micronutrients such as niacin, magnesium, sodium, potassium and vitamin E.
- Peanut Butter (if consumed in the prescribed quantities) is low in carbohydrate content, it contains moderate protein, and high-fat macronutrient breakdown which makes it perfect for the Keto Diet.
- Peanut Butter is rich in fiber contents thus makes digestion an easy process and prevents constipation.
- Peanut Butter is also known to have reduced the risk factors related to obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and other gastrointestinal diseases.
- Peanut Butter is considered to be a great energy booster since it provides the body with the adequate calories to stay full for the day.
Many peanut butters might have more carb content as well, therefore it is recommended to check the nutritional values before buying the product, it is recommended to make it at home itself since the recipe is very easy and can be commonly found as well. If a beginner is using the peanut butter on a Keto diet, he/she should measure his peanut butter intake (basically the carb intake) so that the goal of having a low carb diet is not hindered in the process.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE CONSUMING PEANUT BUTTER
Nothing is good in excess, same is the case with peanut butter. It is an appetizer and sometimes people forget to keep a check on the carb content they consume through the peanut butter, forgetting that it may lead to some serious problems in the future. Here are some basic precautions to keep in mind before consuming peanut butter:
1. Do Not Overeat - The Peanut Butter will undoubtedly taste very good and to have a strict control on it might be a little tough but Keto is a restrictive diet. One has to keep in check the nutritions they are consuming. The daily calorie intake should be kept in check before consuming the appetizer.
2. Beware of Allergy - Peanut Butter is one of the most common allergies, people across the world face. Hence those with allergies should avoid it at all costs to avoid further complications.
3. Agglutinin Content - Studies show that it is the lectin in peanuts which has been linked to the growth of colon cancer cells.
4. High Oxalate Content - Peanut Butter is said to be high in oxalate content which is one of the factors causing kidney stones in the long term. People with a history of renal problems should avoid it at all costs.
5. High Aflatoxin Content - Aflatoxin is a chemical produced by a fungus which is commonly colonized by the peanut plant. Studies show that Aflatoxin is linked to liver cancer in adults. Therefore it should not be consumed much.
Before consuming recipes made with Peanut Butter or even directly consuming the product, dieters should get done an allergy test, should check out if they are prone to problems due to its consumption or not so that it does not create a problem in the future. However, there are no major and common problems related to it if used in nominal quantities and at the normal room temperature.
RECIPE OF HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER
Oftentimes there are complaints of impurities present in the peanut butter due to which they don't show up to the expectations of the people consuming them, in such cases it is advisable to prepare the condiment at home. The recipe is quite easy and takes a maximum of 15 minutes to prepare. Follow these quick steps.
- 2 CUP PEANUTS (ROASTED OR RAW)
- 2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR/HONEY
- SALT & PEPPER FOR TASTE (OPTIONAL)
PROCEDURES TO FOLLOW:
- You need to place the peanuts in a food processor and turn it on to fine grind them.
- The peanuts will first break down in small pieces and then turn into a brisk paste and slowly become a fine paste.
- Make sure that it turns into a thick, smooth batter out of it by grinding for 5 minutes.
- Regrind the batter if there are lumps present in it.
- Stir the batter in a bowl of sugar or/and honey if you want sweetened peanut butter.
- Sprinkle ½ tablespoon of salt and pepper as per taste. (You might skip it as well.)
- Store in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature or the refrigerator.
- Eat it for 3 months without any preservatives.
- You should try to finish it before 3 months to be on a safer side, however you can add preservatives into it and can preserve it for 6 months as well.
- You can add chocolate if you prefer chocolate peanut butter.
- Similarly, other nut butter can also be prepared.
- Good quality vegetable oil such as coconut oil, olive oil can also be scrape down the sides of the processor bowl for better mixing.
THE BOTTOM LINE
Peanut Butter is absolutely Keto friendly and sits fit in the Indian Keto Diet Plan, it should be incorporated in the daily Keto meal as well. It not only serves as an appetizer or a condiment but also serves many nutritional values as well. People consuming it should get checked with the doctor regarding allergies related to store bought peanut butter since it is one of the most common allergies in the world.
We have provided the easiest recipe of healthy homemade peanut butter which you can easily prepare at your home and be sure about its safety and nutritional values.On a short note, Peanut Butter is healthy, tasty and has many health benefits which make it eligible to be added to the Keto Diet, Indian diets as well.