Are Olives Keto Friendly?
- 15 Jul, 2020
A Keto Diet or Ketogenic Diet is one of the most trending high fat, protein rich and low carb (carbohydrate) eating plans popular amongst people of all age groups across the globe. Keto is a popular diet choice amongst today’s generation because they generally suffer from many kinds of small and big health related issues due to their lifestyle and food habits.
This diet helps the body attain the process of ketosis wherein the body starts utilizing body fats as the primary energy source instead by breaking down the amino acids and fatty acids instead of carbohydrates or glucose. Keto was introduced in the 19th century for the treatment of diabetes. It gained popularity amongst patients of many other diseases as well.
The Keto diet has the potential to change the way how and what the body chooses to utilize and store as the primary source of energy. This works well for diabetes and other diseases as well and eases its symptoms, decreasing the side effects the high power medications cause.
In an ideal Keto diet, 5% of the food should consist of carb diets, 20% should contain protein and the rest 75% of the diet should be healthy saturated fat rich food.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF KETO
Keto has enormous health benefits. Ever since it was reintroduced in the treatment of epilepsy, it has been effective in the treatment of many Polycystic Ovary Syndromes, heart related, nervous system related diseases, kidney stones,, chronic disorders, type 2 diabetes etc.
Keto is effective in Parkinson's disease, The Alzheimers ’s, Autism in children and some rare types of cancers as well. Apart from these benefits, a Keto Diet also reduces risk factors related to old age problems, genetic problems.In the current scenario, it is well known for helping getting rid of extra fat on the body i.e. losing weight and balancing the hormonal imbalances in the body.
OLIVES IN KETO
Fruits are generally high in carbohydrate content that is why Keto restricts the intake of most fruits since it is against the diet standards of it.However a few selected Keto-friendly fruits can be consumed, such as Avocado, Olives, Berries etc. They contain most of the essential nutrients the body needs and can be consumed easily.
Olive is one such Keto friendly fruit which is a mandatory part of the Keto diet as it provides endless benefits.These are a great alternative to other fruits and an addition to the Keto diet since they are very low in carbs, adequately rich fats and are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and other antioxidants required for the body to function properly.
WHAT ARE OLIVES?
Olive fruits are small berry like green and black fruits that grow on olive trees and come in several types.They belong to a species of fruits called drupes and are related to the family of cherries, mangos, pistachios, almonds, and peaches.
Olives have been cultivated by humans for many centuries now and are used widely from medicinal purposes to beauty purposes.Olives are considered to be highly nutritious and have been used for various purposes ranging from medicinal to beauty, fitness etc. since decades.
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains a lot of nutrients since it is made from the best quality olives. Also known as EVOO, this oil stands best amongst all the cooking oils such as mustard oil, coconut oil etc.Extra Virgin Olive Oil should definitely be added to the Keto diet as it is considered to be the best food oil ever.
ARE OLIVES KETO-FRIENDLY?
Yes, Olives are Keto-Friendly.Olives are naturally a great addition to the Ketogenic diet since they are low in carbs, high in fats and are an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.The healthy fats present in olives are extracted to produce extra virgin olive oil, which is considered a staple in the ketogenic diet.
- Serving- 10 Olives of 10 grams each.
- Calories- 115
- Protein - 0.8 grams
- Carbohydrates - 6 grams
- Fiber - 3 grams
- Fats - 11 grams
Serving size - 1 TBSP- 15 grams
Calories -119 grams
Protein - 0 gram
Carbs -0 gram
Fiber - 0 gram
Fat - 14 grams
Olive oil does not contain any carbohydrates or protein content. Hence, all its calories come from healthy monounsaturated fats. Olives in both the form of fruits and extra virgin olive oil are a Ketogenic dieter’s best friend since they have all the benefits one would want. They not only help in losing weight and burning fats but are also known to have reduced the risk related to old age problems over a short term only.
BENEFITS OF OLIVE IN KETO
Olives are a great source of healthy fats and also come with various healing properties. Some of these benefits include:
- Olives contain a lot of dietary antioxidants which are considered good for the body since they have been known to reduce the risks related to chronic diseases such as cancer, heart diseases and can also fight some deadly bacteria and viruses.
- Olives are rich in Na or sodium content. It makes them a great option for a low-carbohydrate food for the beginners of the keto diet since it can help reduce the symptoms of keto flu which include headache, dizziness, fatigue, constipation etc.
- The healing properties of Olives are well known to improve the dieter's heart health in the long term. Since oleic acid is present in olives, it is associated with improved heart health and may protect the heart from bad cholesterol from oxidation.
- Olives are rich in oleic acid and vitamin E. Both of these provide good nourishment to the skin. Studies show that olives are also helping in reducing old age wrinkles, darkening, blemishes, blackheads and pimples which occur on the skin. Many beauty products have special olive oil contents for this very reason.
- Olives also help in improving calcium content and gradually bone and nail health. Studies show that olive oil can prevent bone loss and osteoporosis in animal trials, but more human trials are needed to prove this.
- Olives are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats which help in reducing body inflammation, getting rid of toxic free radicals and also have good effects on some rare types of cancer cells, they also stop the cancerous cell from growing further.
- Olives are rich in good fatty acids which help in ketosis and also have powerful healing properties.
- Olives contain oleuropein which is the primary antioxidant with anti-inflammatory properties and helps in protecting our body cells from damage due to injuries etc.
- Olives contain antibacterial properties which have many health benefits. It can cure the diseases caused by bacteria Helicobacter pylori which causes severe stomach ulcers and cancer in extreme cases
- Studies show that people who intake 30 grams of Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a daily basis are less prone to bacterial diseases and have eliminated the risk factors related to Helicobacter pylori infection upto 50%.
- Olive is also known to reduce appetite and calm the hunger pangs of the body which is necessary in a Keto diet.
Olives come in many varieties and there are numerous types of olives. All of them are more or less equally low carb and high in fats, however some of them might taste better in comparison to the others which make them a better snack option.
Here are some popular Olive's.
- Kalamata Olives
- Castelvetrano Olives
- Mission Olives
- Manzanilla Olives
- Nyon Olives
- Alfonso Olives etc.
Out of these, Kalamata Olives are the most widely found variety of the fruit while Castelvetrano Olives are considered to be very nutritious and tasty. Undoubtedly, olives are one of the most trusted food products over the centuries. In the above checkpoints we have mentioned some of the most important benefits of Olives.
By now, you might be sure that Olives are a mandatory addition to your Keto diet. With the huge health benefits they have in stock, to offer you, you should definitely add your favorite Olive fruits and extra virgin olive oil to your Keto diet to get the best results out of it, they not only help you follow your Keto diet easily but also they will help you rejuvenate your skin.
Wishing you good luck with Olives.