Can Keto Diet Cure Diabetes?
- 14 Jul, 2020
AN INTRODUCTION TO KETO DIET
The Ketogenic diet was introduced in the 1900’s primarily for the prevention and cure of diabetes. It is basically a low-carb, moderate protein and high fat eating diet plan which aims to decrease the gram of carbs intake in the body so that the body falls short of carbs and starts attaining Ketosis in which it breaks down healthy fats and proteins and utilize them as primary source of energy for the body.
Keto has shown enormous improvements in diabetic people. Even though a permanent solution for diabetes isn’t made yet, many researchers and case studies have shown that a healthy lifestyle and maintained eating habits can keep the disease in control and stop the blood sugar level from reaching heights.
An ideal Keto diet meal comprises only 5% carb diets (below 20 gram of carbs), 25% protein and a huge 70% saturated fats as well as healthy fats. This diet, if followed over a good period of time, helps the liver to break down the fats and produce ketones which help the body enter the state of ketosis.
Keto is also a safe and effective diet to keep the blood glucose levels of the body in check along with many other health benefits, thus preventing diabetes and controlling it if the person is already diagnosed with it.
Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder in the body which causes enormous rise in the blood sugar levels over a long period of time. Blood glucose is the main source of energy and comes from the food we eat. Insulin helps glucose from food get into your cells to be used for energy. Sometimes our body doesn’t make enough or any insulin or doesn’t use insulin well
It can either show up accompanied by end number of symptoms or remain asymptomatic until diagnosed. Common symptoms of type 2 diabetes include sudden weight loss or weight gain, increased thirst (polydipsia), frequent urge for urination (polyuria), increased appetite (polyphagia), low eye sight, foot pain, slow healing of even minor wounds, itchy skin, fatigue etc.
TYPE 1 DIABETES
Diabetes occurs when the pancreas are unable to or have difficulty in producing the hormone insulin due to loss of beta cells in the body due to unknown autoimmune reasons. This phase of diabetes is termed as Type 1 diabetes.This phase of diabetes is managed and controlled by regular insulin doses until the blood sugar level falls to a comparatively better level.
TYPE 2 DIABETES
In the type 2 diabetes, the body cells become completely numb or irresponsive to insulin which goes on to cause a scarcity of insulin in the body. The type 2 diabetes generally occurs due to obesity or genetic family history of having the disease.
Developing type 2 diabetes is a serious health condition and can be cured by taking up a healthy and balanced lifestyle which includes maintaining a healthy diet (Keto diet is a good example), doing regular physical exercises, maintaining a good body weight and avoiding use of tobacco and alcoholic beverages.
Another form of diabetes is known as Gestational diabetes, this usually occurs in pregnant women due to various reasons. The women may or may not have a family history of diabetes.It is usually seen that the gestational diabetes is cured itself after the birth of the baby.
In today’s scenario diabetes has become a part of life since every 2nd person is suffering from it. Across the globe, around 500 million Asian-American people suffer from diabetes.
HOW CAN KETO HELP
It is well known that the Keto diet focuses on low carbs and high fats. An ideal Ketogenic meal consists of around 70% of fats, 25% of proteins and around 5% of carbohydrates that is not more than 50 gram of carbs and ideally 20 gram of carbs.
The Keto diet has the potential to change the way how and what the body chooses to utilize and store as the primary source of energy. This works well for diabetes as well and eases its symptoms, decreasing the side effects the high power medications cause.
A Ketogenic diet triggers the production of blood ketones in the body with the help of fats and proteins.People having mild symptoms are recommended to avoid carbohydrates since they eventually turn into sugar glucose and cause conditions like Diabetes mellitus.
Many studies and theories suggest that Keto may help the type 2 diabetics to lose their weight and reduce blood sugar levels over a short term. Some researchers have also proven that a Ketogenic diet can lower the need for medications throughout life as well. .
Here are some observations researchers have been seeing through the ages about Diabetes and Keto:
- Studies have shown that diabetic patients who follow a ketogenic diet avoid the intake of carbs and focus more on fats and proteins which helps in controlling the fluctuations in the blood sugar levels of the body.
- Since fats are converted into energy, the body utilizes the fats and burns them which also helps in burning extra fats/ fat loss and losing weight which leads to getting rid of obesity which is one of the major reasons of Diabetes.
- Keto diet has been effective in reducing the patients dependence on insulin doses and medications throughout life.
- It also leads to improvements in high density lipoprotein or healthy or good cholesterol without the inclusion of unhealthy or bad cholesterol by the use of good quality extra virgin olive oil like products.
- A decrease in A1c levels because of the keto diet also helps in keeping the blood sugar fluctuation and manage type 2 diabetes, cholesterol levels in check.
- It has also shown improvements in insulin sensitivity.
- Keto diet stimulates the production of ketones. This in turn decreases insulin resistance by means of various components.
- Diabetes is known as the mother of diseases, it is quite common that people who have diabetes are prone to many other heart diseases, liver and kidney related problems. Keto diet not only controls diabetes but ensures that the risk factors related to these diseases are decreased in the future.
- Keto diet has a thumb rule of consuming smaller meals and it is one of the rules of diabetes as well. Following a Ketogenic diet reduces the appetite of the person and automatically he/she feels less hungry.
Diabetes is one of those diseases which do not not have a specific cure until now due to it's direct relation with the blood running in the veins. It is however controllable and the patient can lead a healthy, fulfilling and long life with a good lifestyle which includes a good diet and regular physical activities.
Keto does not promise to cure diabetes since no diet or medicine does so but it can assure the patients that they will be able to live a healthy life provided that they follow the diet loyally. However a doctor should strictly be consulted before following any specific diet since the success rates of diets depends on the metabolism of the person.
Here's wishing you good health and a speedy recovery from diabetes.